Conference Quick Links:
Call for Papers
American Literature Association
32nd Annual Conference
May 27-30, 2021
Westin Copley Place
10 Huntington Avenue Boston, MA 02116
Olivia Carr Edenfield, Georgia Southern University
Leslie Petty, Rhodes
Conference Fee: $175
($125 for Graduate Students, Independent Scholars, and Retired Faculty).
Deadline for Proposals: February 21, 2021
The ALA website contains details and instructions for submitting proposals as well as important information for representatives of participating author societies. Proposals from individuals and program information from author societies should be sent to
Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield via email
by February 21, 2021 following the instructions on the website:
Our Boston Location: In 2021, the American Literature Association will return to Boston and to the Westin Copley in the Back Bay for our 32nd Annual Conference.
ALA Conference Housing Information: The Westin Copley Place will offer a conference rate of $189 for a single or double room (triples are $229). Reservation information will be posted November 1, 2020.
Conference Details: For the 2021 conference, the ALA will again rely on electronic submission of program information and conference proposals. As usual, the societies that make up the American Literature Association will organize much of the program. Individual societies will issue their own calls for papers, which will be listed on the ALA website as well as on the societies’ own websites and publications. Guidelines for author societies are detailed toward the end of this notice.
Nirvana in Fire unexpectedly achieved a tremendous success, rising like a star among the TV dramas in the fall of 2015. Also adapted from an online novel of the same name written by Hai Yan, the adaptation for the first time found its way on the screen in September 2015. Staring Hu Ge and Liu Tao, the series shows a talented military strategist endeavoring to clear his name through continuous fights. The fictional characters and dynasty let the adaptation smartly avoid being criticized for not sticking to historical accuracy. And the drama`s delicate internal settings and impeccable storyline were highly praised by the audiences.
No.1: Einstein Alive Again?
Tentative Conference Schedule:
Thursday, May 27 2021:
Book Exhibit: 11:00 AM – 5 PM
Friday, May 28, 2021:
Book Exhibit: 9 AM – 5 PM
Saturday, May 29, 2021:
Sunday, May 30, 2021:
Book Exhibit: An exhibit of scholarly books will be held during the conference. About twenty publishers are expected to take part. To have your books represented at the exhibit, ask your publisher to consider taking part in the book exhibit or to contact Scholar’s Choice (see information below), which will organize exhibits for publishers. Publishers should direct any questions to Alfred Bendixen at firstname.lastname@example.org — We welcome the participation of publishers and are one of the few scholarly organizations that do NOT charge an exhibit fee. Publishers who are unable to attend, but wish to have a few titles exhibited should contact The Scholar’s Choice.
Scholar’s Choice: The American Literature Association has again arranged with The Scholar’s Choice to manage the combined book exhibit for our meeting. It may be possible for your recently-published books to be included in their display. Please refer to the following guidelines: “Any members interested in having their book displayed at the upcoming meeting should contact their publisher between October 30th, 2020, and March 1st, 2021. The Scholar’s Choice displays on behalf of the publishers and all requests must come from them, not the individual authors. If they don’t already have it, the press may request the appropriate paperwork by emailing Mary Lynn Howe at email@example.com.”
The Conference Fee and Registration: The conference fee covers the costs of the conference including the receptions and special events. It does not include any meals. All of those who are on the program are required to pre-register. Those who do not pre-register by May 1, 2021, will be dropped from the program.
It's a bit of a lark organised by UK film critics – a gong for the top canine performance at the festival, handed out on the last Friday in the British pavilion. This year the Palm Dog went to Lucky, a Maltipoo – that's half Maltese terrier, half poodle – who plays Dixie in Miguel Gomes' six-hour epic, Arabian Nights. The prizewinner is presented with a toy bone and this year delivered a brief acceptance speech (“woof”) by video link. A jolly time was had by all but an unnamed French journalist felt that the award was “an unwanted intrusion of British silliness” in the glamorous proceedings, according to AFP. “From the French perspective, this is a bit bizarre,” he is reported to have said. “The British are weird.”
Everything is coming up roses for Tesla . The electric car company is enjoying an almost-unimaginable run of good fortune and is still being hotly pursued by investors.
4. “Carol” This is the first movie that Todd Haynes directed that doesn’t have his name on it as a writer. Working from Phyllis Nagy’s distillation of the Patricia Highsmith novel, he reaffirmed that filmmakers don’t need to generate their own screenplays to be great, a truth many aspiring and established auteurs disregard.
特里萨?梅(Theresa May)依然面临着党内阻力。自由民主党(Liberal Democrats)的智者兼领导人文斯?凯布尔(Vince Cable)依然认为脱欧可能不会真的发生。
Programs: The ALA website will list a draft of the program as soon as it is available, usually during the second week of March, with updated programs posted weekly until we go to press. Copies of the printed program will be available at the conference.
ALA Membership: Membership in the ALA is not required in order to propose or present a paper. In fact, technically the members of the American Literature Association are the various author societies. Individuals may keep informed about the activities of the ALA by checking our website (www.americanliterature.org), which is the primary source for information about ALA activities.
The easiest way to find out about the conference and all ALA activities is by consulting our website:
ALA Guidelines: The most common ALA format is a time slot of one hour and twenty minutes with three papers and a chair. This permits some time for discussion and three papers of approximately 20 minutes (or ten typed double-spaced pages). Organizers of panels are free to use other formats provided they respect the time limits. Please note that the normal reading time for a paper is two minutes per double-spaced page (or 20 minutes for a 10-page paper). Furthermore, the ALA encourages panel organizers to experiment with innovative formats including discussion groups and panels featuring more speakers and briefer papers. Chairs will make sure that the panels start and end on time and that no speaker goes beyond the allotted time limit. Chairs may NOT present papers on the panels that they are moderating, and no one may present more than one paper at the ALA conference. Individuals may, however, present a paper on one panel, and chair other panels, and/or also present on roundtable discussions.
Procedures for Author Societies: The representatives of the various author societies that make up the American Literature Association will organize most of the program. Societies are expected to offer their own calls for papers using their websites, email list-serves, newsletters, other publications, or mailing lists. Each society is also expected to post a call for papers or announce its plans on this ALA website by sending the CFP to Alfred Bendixen at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and No Later than December 1, 2020. Societies are expected to advertise the national conference in their publications or on their websites. This expectation can be met by including the following notice in appropriate publications and websites:
The American Literature Association’s 32nd annual conference will meet at the Westin Copley Place in Boston on May 27-30, 2021 (Thursday through Sunday of Memorial Day weekend). The deadline for proposals is February 21, 2021. For further information, please consult the ALA website at www.americanliterature.org or for specific questions, contact the conference directors, Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield at email@example.com or Professor Leslie Petty at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Executive Director of the ALA, Professor Alfred Bendixen at email@example.com.
v. 构成，把 ...
The circular also stressed zero tolerance for cheating.
I formerly had an Android device (even though I have had a MacBook since 2009 – weird, I know). After switching this summer, I quickly realized the power of iPhone “Reminders.” Each time a reminder is due, your iPhone buzzes and displays a pop-up. You can snooze it or mark as completed. In addition, you can set up recurring reminders, which are perfect for remembering to mail estimated quarterly tax payments, renewing subscriptions, running payroll and other things you tend to forget.
This is the moment hundreds of lovestruck Irish football fans gathered around a blonde French girl and serenaded her - and one admirer even stole a kiss from the woman at the end.
当城市规划部门明年初（2015年——译注）提出初步的建议方案时，布鲁克林的东纽约(East New York)地区将被列为试点。随后，重新区划进程就将在该处全市最穷社区之一内展开。而紧随其后的，将是针对皇后区的西法拉盛(Flushing)的提案。
The Sublime in the Poetry of Sample
Organized by the Ima Sample Society
Chair: Joseph Goodscholar, University of Great Hopes
- “Irony and Angst in the poetry of Ima Sample,” Noah Problem, College of Notre Doubt
- “The Beautiful Garden in The Jungle: Sample’s Influence on Sinclair,” Raphael Hythloday, University of East London
The Man Who Knew, by Sebastian Mallaby, is the 12th winner of the ￡30,000 award, which goes to the “most compelling and enjoyable” title of the year.
Even though we are apart, you are in my heart this season.千山万水，隔不断我在佳节对你的思念。
But many foresee an economic collapse, arguing that a prolonged eurozone crisis coupled with a property bubble could render vast swaths of Chinese industry unprofitable. This would reveal hidden financial vulnerabilities and feed a downward spiral. Others believe that Beijing has ample resources to avoid a crisis, but argue that, with a growth model based on infrastructure and land sales, and with exchange and interest rates rigidly controlled, it may not have all the necessary tools at its disposal.
Last year was the hottest on earth since record-keeping began in 1880, scientists reported on Friday, underscoring warnings about the risks of runaway greenhouse gas emissions and undermining claims by climate change contrarians that global warming had somehow stopped.
由于州政府和市政府试图打击不法的旅馆经营者，明年可能会出台一项规定。而与此同时，房产租赁网站Airbnb将游说政府改变法规。“你会看到，规范这一市场的要求会变得更加迫切。”代表租户的律师塞缪尔·J·希莫尔斯泰因(Samuel J. Himmelstein)说。
- Provide the exact Title of the Session as you wish it listed in the Program. (Please try to be both concise and precise). Please do NOT use CAPS or special fonts or highlighting or Bold or any special formatting in any part of the material you send!
- If you don't, you need to trade Boogie Cousins and all those veterans you signed over the past two offseasons.
- For each paper, begin with a number, skip five spaces, then provide the title of the presentation in quotation marks, and then the correct name of the presenter, and his or her academic affiliation. For independent scholars, you may identify a society, a place, or just note independent scholar or biographer or anything you deem appropriate. For any questions about matters of format and style, please consult The Chicago Manual of Style.
- 固安举行“国际志愿者日”活动 打造创新生态系统
- Then write Audio-Visual Equipment Required and state NONE or request the specific equipment desired. The ALA will normally provide projectors for powerpoint and dvd presentations and screens (but we will not provide laptop computers). We will no longer provide overhead projectors, slide projectors, vcrs, or cd or cassette tape players (but you may, of course, bring your own cd or tape player). Please note that audio-visual equipment is very expensive and usually takes up over $15,000 of our budget. It costs much more to rent a piece of a/v equipment and a competent Tech person for three days than it costs to buy it. Feel free to use a/v if needed, but make sure that all audio-visual requests reach the conference director by February 21, 2021.
Episodic memory is also known as long-term memory, and the researchers approached the study of exercise in a different manner than previous studies. Other studies examined the impact of aerobic exercise conducted over many months, but this study simply asked participants to lift weights a single time. During the test, half of the participants were asked to use a weight machine before recalling a series of images they were shown at the start of the test. The other half of the participants were also asked to recall the images but without having engaged in any strenuous activity before the recall session. In demonstrating the memory improvement for the participants who engaged in just a single session of weight lifting, the researchers were able to show that improving one's memory through exercise didn't take hours of dedication in the gym. The next time you have the opportunity to lift weights or someone tries to convince you to join the gym you might just want to take him or her up on the offer.
Vegetable price growth more than doubled to 13 per cent year on year, helping push food inflation to 3 per cent, up from 2.7 per cent in September.
Based on a new estimate provided by the government of Dubai, its visitor spending of $31.3 billion this year far exceeds London's estimated $19.8 billion, which comes second.
- Please italicize book-length works and foreign phrases and use quotation marks for shorter works.
- 周边环境：斯托宁顿位于康涅狄格州东南部的小纳拉甘西特湾(Little Narragansett Bay)，从哈特福特(Hartford)和罗德岛的普罗维登斯(Providence, R.I.)开车约1小时可达，从纽约市开车约3小时。这里曾是一个具有悠久历史的繁忙港口，至今仍然保留着一支商业捕鱼船队，有几个分布着殖民式和联邦式建筑的历史区，以及一个繁荣的航海社区。在该镇的一端有个小型的公共海滩，而在另一端罗德岛的沃奇·希尔(Watch Hill)则有个大得多的海滩，开车大约20分钟可到。这栋希腊复兴式房屋带有此类建筑必不可少的爱奥尼亚柱和山形墙上的扇骨半圆窗，房屋就坐落在市镇中心。
"All of these lists together speak a lot about 2010, and the revolutions in politics and technology of the year," Chan said.
About 40 per cent of entrepreneurs did not seek any help when securing finance. Half of these raised equity purely from their own savings and/or family and friends compared with only 40 per cent of those who sought help from the school or alumni network.
- Homeowners in neighborhoods like the Grand Concourse in the Bronx or Elmhurst in Queens could enjoy new attention from buyers eager to find the next untapped market. “When have you heard talk about Kingsbridge in the Bronx?” asked Ms. Ramirez of Halstead. “The people who are smart are getting out there and buying it up at wonderful prices.”
考虑到波士顿咨询集团(Boston Consulting Group)管理合伙人理查德莱塞(Richard Lesser)的第二任期将于10月结束，该公司可能也将引来变化。然而，由于该公司拒绝就其选举流程及领导人最多可以有几个任期置评，莱塞的未来尚不明确。
- But Michael DeFranco, chair of Baker & McKenzie’s M&A practice, hailed the Chinese group’s investment in developed economies.
Play up being smarter than everyone, develop some obvious insecurities. Forget social skills if you happen to have any.
The conference director will normally confirm the receipt of all emails within 3 business days. The conference director may refer you to the website but will never send you an attachment to open, because of the danger of computer viruses. By the second week in March, the conference director will let you know the day on which your panel or panels are scheduled. You should inform your participants of the day and instruct them to register using the information on the website at www.americanliterature.org and explaining that their early registration and payment saves the organization time and money. You will also inform them to check the on-line program for accuracy and to send any corrections to both you and the conference director. You should also inform them that participants who fail to register by May 1 will be dropped from the program.
- Back in the movie wasteland of last January, no one could have guessed what a bounty of good films the year would bring. Not just good films, but several that measure up to our idealized notions of what the medium once was. Two candidates for the top of the heap pretty much chose themselves. For sheer entertainment, the clear call is 'American Hustle,' David O. Russell's joyous celebration of 1970s-era con artists and their intricate cons. For innovation-a new theatrical experience born of new technology-'Gravity' whirls in its own orbit. With the understanding that there's nothing to be said against 'American Hustle,' and everything to recommend this screwball comedy for the ages, I think 'Gravity' is the best movie of the year.
We were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way
Procedures for Individual Proposals: Individuals may propose either a paper or a panel or round table to the conference director no earlier than December 1, 2020, and no later than the deadline of February 21, 2021. The conference director will give preference to papers and panels on authors, texts, and topics not covered by the member societies of the ALA. Those proposing a paper or panel on a topic represented by an author society should consult with the relevant society before submitting the proposal to the ALA. All proposals must be by email and should be both pasted in and included as attachments (preferably in WORD).
For an Individual Paper: In the subject line of the email, please put ALA 2021 Proposal: and then a brief title of between one and five words. That will enable the conference director to file emails efficiently. Please provide a clear and useful title for your paper and then an abstract describing the paper (usually between 250-600 words) and then a brief discussion of your status (i.e., an Associate Professor who has published a book and several articles on this topic/author; a graduate student who is offering part of his/her dissertation, etc.) or a two-page vita if that is easier. It is important that your abstract enable the conference director and his advisory committee to evaluate the nature of your work. You must also indicate whether you need any audio-visual equipment to present your work. Please provide a phone number (which will only be used if email fails to work for some reason).
After a run with One Direction, Harry Styles could have gone anywhere he wanted.
Other notable custom course performances include Harvard Business School, which recorded one of the year’s biggest rises, jumping nine places to fifth. The Massachusetts school was ranked 18th two years ago.
For a panel: Please follow the sample below so the conference director can paste in the panels and round tables that are accepted.
6. "How I Met Your Mother" (3.0 million)
So here are the main items to take into consideration if you’re trying to develop a business platform. These elements constitute will support a smart strategy for any new enterprise:
Carry out deleveraging in an active and prudent way.
But yeah, of course they should tank. And so should the Kings. Again. And the Heat. And the Magic. These are mediocre teams, at best, without high upsides even in the most optimistic projections.
7. Trust will remain the single most critical business issue.
- “Irony and Angst in the Gothic Novels of the Early Republic,” Noah Problem, College ofNotre Doubt
- “The Beautiful Garden in Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter,” Raphael Hythloday, University of East London
- 贾斯汀比伯名列第五，因他为慈善组织Pencils of Promise和Believe Charity Drive做的贡献。
Organized by: Name of Individual organizer
And then Chair: Name
Magic show (Lu Chen)
Don't mistake the lack of a late flurry for an uneventful deadline:
The Belty is great that it uses technology to track fitness, water intake, and posture, but for $395, you might be better off getting the same in a stylish smart watch or activity tracker.
Traffic was halted along Interstate 68 in Frostburg, Maryland on Tuesday. Wet snow and high winds spinning off the edge of superstorm Sandy spread blizzard conditions over parts of West Virginia and neighboring Appalachian states.
It will be interesting to see which direction they go at the trade deadline. They have a handful of solid players along with Brook Lopez.
PC demand has been hit by competition from smartphones and tablets, along with longer lifecycles for PCs. Shipments fell in all regions around the world and have declined for five quarters in a row, according to IDC's figures.
It's hard enough for NBA defenders to stop Rose, so just imagine how ridiculously hard that must have been back in high school with Rose being nearly the same size that he is now.
A party of 108 pandas – performers dressed in costumes – descended on London streets today to promote the plight of the cuddly black and white endangered species.
Cambridge Judge Business School also ends the year on a high, appearing for the first time in the rankings for both open and custom executive education, and climbing three places in the MBA ranking and 12 places in the Executive MBA table.
5. Geopolitical flashpoints.In the not too distant past, a small supply disruption would send oil prices skyward. In early 2014, for example, violence in Libya blocked oil exports, contributing to a rise in oil prices. In Iraq, ISIS overran parts of the country and oil prices shot up on fears of supply outages. But since then, geopolitical flashpoints have had much less of an effect on the price of crude. During the last few weeks of 2014, violence flared up again in Libya. But after a brief increase in prices, the markets shrugged off the event. Nevertheless, history has demonstrated time and again that geopolitical crises are some of the most powerful short-term movers of oil prices.
Actively expanding China's opening up to the world
The cart-topper's latest track, There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back, saw him beat out the likes of DJ Khaled 's Wild Thoughts ft. Rihanna, as well as Ed Sheeran's smash hit, Shape of You. and Daddy Yankee & Luis Fonsi's record-breaking Despacito.
Please note that the American Literature Association maintains the lowest conference fees of any major scholarly organization because it operates without a paid staff. We cannot help you find a roommate or spend a great deal of time answering personal phone calls. If you have any questions that are not answered by this announcement, please contact the conference directors Professor Olivia Carr Edenfield, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Professor Leslie Petty at email@example.com or Professor Alfred Bendixen, Executive Director of the ALA, at firstname.lastname@example.org.